Friday, June 18, 2010

June 18, 2010

So you're probably wondering why this blog is called "23 Days of Summer 2010." It will turn out to be more than 23 days because I'm starting to blog before I leave. I am so excited. Never done this before! As a teacher participant in the UC Davis History Project, (http://historyproject.ucdavis.edu/) I am going with three of my colleagues (and many teachers from other schools) to Philadelphia. This particular project is called "Legacies of Liberty." We have heard many lectures through the school year from historians in the area, have read American Colonies by Alan Taylor, and have created and taught wonderfully engaging American history lessons. We have shared our thoughts and ideas and had absolutely delicious dinners. It's been a great year with the History Project. And now it's time to celebrate our learning and learn much more! On to one of the most historic places in American history -- Philadelphia.

Philadelphia is the beginning of my 23 Days of (exploring the east coast) Summer 2010. And thus the name of this blog.

I will be leaving (via Greyhound bus) from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh.

I have been a Steelers fan from the time I was about 16 years old. I've never been to a game, and I've never seen Heinz Field. So on to Pittsburgh. There's probably more to Pittsburgh than just the Steelers, eh?

One of my best friends is meeting me in Pittsburgh, and then we get on Amtrak for the rest of the trip.

Washington, D.C. is next on the agenda. Although I was brought up on the east coast, I have never been to our great nation's capital. I look forward to every single minute there. I have been told that there are literally warehouses FULL of historic items that have not even been released to the public! Probably a good thing. I'll only be there for two days -- not enough time, I'm sure, to see all there is to see.

Remember Lestat? He was the original modern vampire, in my opinion. I literally consumed every Ann Rice book I could get my hands on back in the 80s and 90s. And in the process, fell in LOVE with New Orleans and vampires. And witches and half breeds. All of them. So, the next logical stop: New Orleans.

Because of Hurricane Katrina, Amtrak no longer goes east and west, just north and south; so, D.C. to New Orleans, back to D.C. Kinda silly, huh? Anyway, next stop ... Savannah! Really want a taste of the old south. What better place to get it?

1 comment: