Friday, July 9, 2010

First Night in the Big Easy





At the end of the night (well, early morning -- 2:30ish), Josh walks us to our trolley car stop, and there are some people there with a birthday hat and a sign. Coincidence? I think not. Everything happens for a reason...
Did I mention it's hot here? Well, not like DC, but definitely hot. In more ways than one...

This is a rockin town, a town that never sleeps. Even though the streets look shady, it's perfectly safe. People have each other's backs. It's pretty awesome. But I get ahead of myself.

When we got to the Parkview Guest House last night, we were hot and sweaty, unbathed for over 36 hours. ICK. We were both looking forward to a nice, long shower. And even though we were hot, tired, sweaty and icky, we still wanted a somewhat warm shower.

No hot water. No water pressure. What? Well, if you know me, you know my hair. I need water pressure. This place was recommended to me by one of my colleagues. I was about to call her and tell her thanks, um yea, really, thanks Jennifer. But I don't have her number, and I did feel a little cleaner, so just decided to get on with it. With the night, that is.

Called Josh, he met us at the drop off point of the trolley car (they are so convenient in this town), and off we went. Josh took us on a stroll down Bourbon Street and on into the French Quarter. He pointed out drug dealers, pimps, where to go and where not to go. We finally found somewhere to get something to eat. Rachel had a Po' Boy with shrimp (as seen above). I had a plain old grilled chicken sandwich (I really wasn't very hungry). We also had a phenomenal (I'm probably going to use that word many times...) blue colored drink (above left); I have no idea what was in it. I just know I was feelin good at the end of one. Just one.

On to the next place. Josh was supposed to meet some of his friends at midnight, so he took us there. Now we're in the section of the French Quarter for gay men, but "women are welcome." In other words, there are many, many men's rooms with many urinals, but only one women's room, with one toilet. And one cannot safely enter the men's room. No, this would not be good, even though "women are welcome". If you catch my drift. Another woman (yes, I'm sure she was a woman) and I are waiting in line in front of the ONE ladies' room, and it's locked. We bang on the door. "Knock twice from the inside if anyone's in there!" So she does. We wait. Finally, I get my turn.

Leave that place, move on to the next. As we are walking, there is a "gentleman" who is infatuated with Rachel. He is so infatuated with her that he is staring and "wacking the weasel" at the same time. Every time either Josh or I look in his direction, he stops. He was, in fact, so infatuated with Rachel, that he followed us for a portion of our walk.

We go into another place where there is a contest going on. Men sign up to win $100 for the best, I guess, strip show? I dunno. There were some cute guys there. The MC was a drag queen who was, in fact, very entertaining. She told everyone the following information, so here's a shout out for New Orleans: If you buy Dawn dishwashing soap, Dawn will donate a portion of the proceeds to clean up the oil spill. So go out and buy Dawn Detergent right now!!!

She would ask the men if they liked boys or girls, and, I'm happy to report, the cutest ones liked the girls. Oh yea.

Exit that club, start walking again. Meet up with Casper. Yes, his name is Casper. He was very friendly with moi. So now it's the four of us, walking down Bourbon Street. The end of the night (2 in the morning) is near. We start the trek to the trolley car (they stop running at 3 a.m.). Josh makes sure we get to the right trolley stop. Josh is very protective, and literally peels Casper off of me. Tells him, "No, you cannot go home with them. You are coming with me." Josh is the best tour guide ever.

I love this town!!!
Today is our last day here, and we've done so much so far. I have lots of pictures and lots of stories, but I don't have time right now cuz we're getting ready to go on a Vampire Tour. I'm so excited about that!!!! If you don't hear from me in a couple of days, don't worry.... Lestat is taking good care of me...

No comments:

Post a Comment